2 posts Page 1 of 1
Postby lorenzog905 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:38 pm
Hello everyone,

The Neptun wave is approaching and I am planning to buy a new laptop. I noticed that the last year X1 Carbon came with a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440. Although it increases readability by a little it decreases battery life and increases the price.

Since the screen resolution is not crucial for me (I believe for most software engineers is the same) but battery life and price is, I was wondering if you could include X1 Carbon with lower resolution (FullHD) in your offer?

Similar for SSD size. Although bigger capacity doesn't hurt as big resolution of the screen (affects the battery) it would additionally lower the price. After all, the SSD is swappable so one can replace it if more space is needed.

In conclusion, I would prefer smaller screen resolution and smaller SSD size to lower the price and increase the battery life. I believe there are more others who would agree with me.

Best,
Lorenzo
Postby Michael » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am
Hi Lorenzo

With our Neptun lineup, we always have to find compromises for each device that work for as many people as possible. In case of the X1 Carbon, which is positioned as a premium device by Lenovo, we're intentionally going with a (reasonably) high end configuration, because the base price of the laptop is already quite high. Using lower end parts generally lowers the price Lenovo offers to us only by a small amount, which means that you end up with an underpowered, expensive device with a bad price/performance ratio, if you go with the most affordable configuration.
Regarding the display and storage in particular, we always try not to go below WQHD at 14" as this hurts readability significantly, and you still get reasonable battery life at the higher resolution. In our own tests, we measured 10 hours of battery life for our WQHD config of the X1 Carbon from last Fall. For storage, 256 GB is just too small for most users, especially when thinking long term, and in our experience, most users never upgrade their SSDs, even if they could. Additionally, the price difference between 256 GB and 512 GB is currently less than 30 Francs, so a downgrade would have almost no impact on the price.

Best regards
Michael
2 posts Page 1 of 1

Login