3 posts Page 1 of 1
Postby juergbi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:16 pm
AMD is expected to announce a new generation of AMD Ryzen Mobile processors (Renoir based on Zen 2, 7nm) at CES 2020. They might be better than Intel's 10th Gen (both Comet Lake and Ice Lake) in many aspects: more power efficient, possibly up to 8 cores even for 15W/25W TDP SKUs, and a better integrated GPU (much better than Comet Lake, similar or better than Ice Lake). And they'll support LPDDR4X for fast, power efficient RAM.

If Lenovo already has ThinkPads in the pipeline with these new processors, please consider including them in the spring wave and not just as a budget option.

I'd be interested in a 14" laptop, possibly the successor of the T495s. Or on the off chance that Lenovo will launch an AMD variant of the X1 Carbon, I'd be very interested.
Postby Michael » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:07 pm
Hi Jürg

Thanks for your interest in our lineup. AMD's future CPUs do indeed promise to be more than competitive with Intel's products. Our barrier to including more devices with AMD hardware, especially on the high end, has so far been the fact that the manufacturers don't include other high end components like high-res display panels with the AMD versions of their laptops. This applies for both Lenovo and HP. Compare, as an example, the specs for the Lenovo T490 and T495:
T490: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PD ... 0_Spec.PDF
T495: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PD ... 5_Spec.PDF

Considering, however, Intel's current supply problems and the quality of AMD's products, I expect to see more options for the configurations by the manufacturers on the high end. We will make sure to test any new laptops with AMD hardware as they become available from our partners, and if they fulfill our expectations on quality and price, you will find them in future Neptun Waves.

Best regards
Michael
Postby juergbi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:18 pm
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the lack of high-end configurations from the OEMs is indeed an issue. Let's hope this improves with the next generation.

Best regards,
Jürg
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Login