3 posts Page 1 of 1
Postby cstaehli » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 pm
Hi everyone,
I am an amateur photographer spending lots of time on Light Room and am quite tempted by the new HDR display on the X1 Yoga. My main doubt is: if I have an unusually high contrast display, other people I share my pictures with will still see them on their more 'mainstream' displays (although apple seems to be comparable to Lenovo HDR anyways), so I will likely have to turn down the contrast to edit photos intended for sharing and especially for printing. Hence a few questions:
- can this display be flexibly calibrated (or can someone answer this question for the OLED display of the previous generation ... since not many ppl would have the HDR at this point).
- does anyone have experience how this 100% gamut plays out in real life? I've read this can make life tricky with programs that only support a smaller color space. (I don't require professional photo printing with 100% adobeRGB printers etc at this stage).
All this makes me wonder whether I should not go with the X1 carbon, which has some amazing specs on other fronts, and still a decent display.
Thanks,
Chris
Postby Michael » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 am
Hi Chris

You can calibrate any screen with Windows, either with the built-in calibration tools, or better yet with more feature-rich tools like the Datacolor Spyder 5 that we use to measure display quality. Regarding the decision between the X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon, it's generally better to work with high-quality tools and to possibly reduce quality afterwards for publication than to work with the lowest common denominator.

Since you can calibrate any display towards any color spectrum, you won't have any problems with programs that only support sRGB, for example. However, if you display cannot produce more than 70% AdobeRGB, for instance, calibration towards that color space will only marginally improve your results. Therefore, I would recommend the X1 Yoga over the X1 Carbon.

Best wishes
Michael
Postby cstaehli » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am
Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot for your explanations.
I am still in a bit of a dilemma between the X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon for various reasons, including the glossy vs. anti-glare display question.
Do you know of a place where I could have a look at these models? I unfortunately missed the Neptun Demo days. I called several Swiss Lenovo show centers but they don’t have any high end model with WQHD display.
Best,
Christoph
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Login